Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mate-hating pets

I once read a book in my single days in which the author wrote that the reason why single people get pets is to avoid loneliness. He went on to say that single people need to learn how to be comfortable by themselves - without pets - before they can begin dating anyone.

I forgot what the book was called and who the author was, but it was not the first time I had heard that argument.

I wonder if that author ever considered how animal instincts can actually help your dating life.

It's been said that animals can sense death, danger, natural disasters, etc. I believe pets may also be able to sense a good or bad person - which helps when you're trying to pick a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Take my friend Yvette, who owns a toy poodle named Mimi. Yvette started dating this guy. He met Mimi. Mimi would bark at him incessantly. He was also scared of her (by the way, Mimi weighs five pounds.)

Yvette stopped talking to the guy, rationalizing her decision with: "You don't like my dog, I don't like you."

Yvette now dates someone who Mimi likes. Her boyfriend even rubs Mimi's hip (she has a bad hip.)

What do you think? Do you think when Fido barks maniacally at your date, that's saying something about his character? Would you break up with someone if your pet didn't like him/her (or vice versa)?

1 comment:

ASH-N-CA$H said...

I can totally relate. My dog, Berkeley Buster Devoe, is very protective of me and used to bark like mad whenever I would bring a guy I was dating over to my apartment. Well, I knew my current boyfriend, Mark, was the one, because when I introduced Berkeley to him, he cuddled up to him almost instantly. I got up to use the bathroom, and when I came out there Berkeley was curled up on my man's lap. I don't see how a relationship can work when your mate hates your pet or vice versa. Lucky for me me two guys get along great.