Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Introducing cats to other pets

A month or two ago I took a tour of Allied Cats here in Columbus. They're a nonprofit trap/neuter/release program for feral cats, but they also put a limited number of kitties up for adoption.

I totally fell in love. There were so many beautiful cats over there! I've never really considered adopting a cat before - part of the reason is I'm allergic. But my friend's mother is a cat owner who takes allergy meds each day (she's allergic as well) so she can keep her three babies. She also owns a dog (Boston terrier!)

Of course, when I thought about the possibility of one day adopting a cat, I also thought of CeCe. She loves all creatures, but sometimes the creatures don't love her back (lol.)

I found this Yahoo Pets article on introducing an adopted cat to other pets. It gives some pretty good tips on an introduction "in stages."

Have you ever brought a cat home to other pets? How did the cat react? How did your other pets react? Have they been able to live peacefully? If so, how did you do it? If not, what did you do to resolve the situation?

No comments: