Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Understanding CeCe's barks

I will admit it. Talking to my dog CeCe is something I do on the regular. I'm sure all you other pet owners do, too!

But do you understand your pets when they "talk" to you?

The Associated Press recently did a poll that shows 67 percent of pet owners believe they understand their pet's barks, purrs, etc. About 62 percent of owners said when they speak, their pets understand them as well.

Check out the story here.

I think when I speak to CeCe, she understands basic things, such as "Sit," "Go in the cage," "Who wants a treat?" and "Want to sleep on the bed?" I think that's because I've repeated key words in those sentences before (ex. bed, cage, treat.)

But when I try to engage her in a conversation about who she abhors the most on MTV's The Hills (Heidi or Spencer?), she typically cocks her head to the side and gives me a quizzical look.

(Or maybe she just can't decide between Heidi and Spencer.)

How about you? Do you feel you understand your pet's "language"? And do you think they understand you?

No comments: