Saturday, December 27, 2008

Fleas, be gone!

Lately I have been wanting to pull my hair out. I recently discovered a flea on CeCe. It confirmed my suspicions that she had fleas because for the past few weeks or so, she had been scratched and biting herself excessively. Where she got them, I don't know.

Getting rid of fleas - on a pet as well as within the home - is a ______! (Fill in the blank.) Thus, the desire to pull my hair out.

I went to the vet this week and purchased a CapStar pill and one Frontline treatment. Apparently, what I was giving her monthly to prevent fleas - some Hartz medication from Walmart - is pretty ineffective, according to one of the vet techs. Great.

After I gave her the medicine, I went on a crazy cleaning binge within my apartment, flea powder and everything. It's really disconcerting because you can't really see those little things, let alone their stupid eggs. But I did my best and I will probably do another sweep in the next week or two to be on the safe side.

I had to buy a second Capstar pill, and CeCe's itching has subsided.

Have any pet owners out there experienced a flea attack? What products worked for you? There were so many at Walmart but I finally settled on some flea powder for the carpet.

And what about monthly flea prevention? I am considering switching to Frontline but I heard Revolution was good, too, since it fights against heartworm as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All of Zodiac's products are good. Zodiac has a spray, powder and a shampoo. You can get Zodiac at the pet storm. I don't think walmart has Zodiac. If you bathe your own baby, use Zodiac all the time and you will never have another problem again. There's no need for retreatment and there's no need for a pill or frontline. You can also spray Zodiac around the house and it will kill the eggs and the fleas.